Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Teaching Tips.

Personally I don't believe in telling someone else how to do their job, but for this blog we have to give tips for teaching. I don't know if I have tips necessarily but there are things in the past my teachers have done that I liked.

1. Make things interesting. For instance I'm not a political person, to be honest I hate talking about politics and the economy and this year I had to take economics like almost all seniors. I thought I was going to be bored out of my mind but we did things that made it interesting. We made TV commercials and played a stock game which made that class fun and interesting.

2. Don't be negative. When I was in eighth grade I was part of an unruly class. My teacher at the time decided it was a good idea to tell us that the following year we would be the scum of the earth to upperclassmen.
3. Give students time. In my freshman english class my teacher told my class we had to make 50 notes cards and write a rough draft of a term paper in one night. At the time my school had seven periods a day which means seven other teacher had given me homework as well. There is no way someone can do seven separate assignments in one night when all of them will take a least and hour to complete.

4. Don't expect students to get what your teaching right away. People are all different so all people learn different, therefore, you can explain something and expect everyone to understand.

5. If students aren't comfortable doing something, don't force them. In and english class I've taken the teacher told us we had to write a persuasive essay but first we had to plan. I'm not a planner, if i have to write an essay I just write it I don't plan it out, but she made me plan it anyway.

1 comment:

Swanson said...

Sometimes when you are required to do something that's out of your comfort zone you will often learn from it. You might never have tried it if you weren't pushed a bit.